If decorated poorly, small rooms can seem claustrophobic and uncomfortable. However, there are many design and decorating tips that can make the room look bigger than it is and give the illusion of space.
Here are some decorating tips and tricks to making a small room look bigger:
- Choose light colors. Light colors make rooms look bigger and maximize the effect created by natural light. Dark colors make rooms appear smaller because they absorb light.
- Use multi-function furniture. Multipurpose furniture such as sofa beds, chest of drawers, beds with storage drawers, and extendable dining tables can all save space and help keep small rooms looking clean and organized.
- The more light, the better. If you can let natural light in, it will open up the room a lot. Make sure that any window coverings are sheer and/or pulled back. If there isn’t a lot of natural light in the room, adding more light fixtures will give a similar effect.
- Keep the room organized. Having too much clutter will make a room feel and look very cramped. Don’t cover walls with a lot of pictures. Limit the number of accessories in the room as well.
- Add mirrors. Mirrors give rooms an illusion of depth. Use a focal point and angle the mirrors toward it.